Reports To: Distribution Center Coordinator/Director of Operations
Supervises: Distribution center shift supervisors, merchandise processors, truck drivers, balers and volunteers
Mission Statement: Building Lives That Work
Job Objective: To assist in the general operation of the Distribution Center including sorting and preparing merchandise and recycling. Working with transportation team to delivery merchandise and recycling in a timely manner and carry out the Marion Goodwill Industries, Inc. Mission Statement.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for maintaining open communication between store personnel and management.
- Communicate with team before, during and at the end of shift.
- Maintain confidentiality; ensure correct information goes only to the appropriate person(s).
- Present a positive public image for the betterment of the organization.
- Develop and promotes special events with the direction of the appropriate person.
- Ensure all employee and customer concerns are resolved in a timely manner.
Hiring and Team development:
- Understand and follow Distribution Center Supervisor and Distribution Center Merchandise Processor job descriptions.
- Assist with the hiring process ensuring it is in accordance with Hiring Procedures.
- Recruit and select future employees for Marion Goodwill.
- Receive and review hiring applications and verify minimum qualifications are met.
- Recommend additional staffing as justified by demand.Develop and coach employees to maximize their individual potential.
- Assist Coordinator with holding team accountable to Marion Goodwill production standards
- Set goals with each employee, ensuring daily, monthly, quarterly and yearly goals are met.
- Assist with evaluating employee’s performance on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis.
- Lead and offer job duty guidance to personnel assigned.
- Ensure all training of new employees is complete and accurate. Production/Operations:
- Ensures the neat, orderly and safe operation of an efficient ADC, sorting, recycling, sorting and Distribution Center
- Courteously and professionally greet donors and collect all donations, offering a receipt and supervising these same practices with all Distribution Center employees.
- Prepares merchandise for shipment to appropriate locations. (Textiles, Wares, etc.)
- In charge of meeting or exceeding daily production goals in wares and textiles.Assist with recycling program, including (but not limited to): baled textiles, accessories, shoes, books, computers, metal, electrical cords and clear glass are weighed (when necessary), organized for shipment, scheduled for pickup and picked up.
- Accepting incoming calls for donation pick-ups, scheduling appropriate time for the drivers, confirming schedule and ensure completion of pick-up and customer satisfaction.
- Ensure transportation team is working efficiently, handling merchandise with care and offering friendly customer service to all customers.
- Assist with scheduling personnel to meet distribution center requirements staying within the budgeted payroll allowance.
- Perform administrative tasks, including: accurate daily/weekly/monthly reporting & scheduling with all employees and work services participants.
- Assist with inventory control and ordering new goods with supervisor’s approval
- Accountable for maintenance and security of inventory and equipment.
- Assure record keeping is accurate, complete and forwarded to the proper location in a timely manner as required.
- Is aware of and follows all company policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook, Policies & Procedures, and ongoing training.
- Ensure that all assigned employees are in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Attend meetings/training as scheduled and integrate information from training into operations where applicable
- Assist with reviewing all employee attendance with Coordinator. (Tardiness, absence, left early or arrived early.) Ensure appropriate actions are taken within a timely manner.
- Review department checklists with Coordinator/Shift to ensure completion and follow up as needed.
- Ensure supply requisition and new goods ordering and/or inventory are completed by specific due dates.
- May be required to temporarily assist in other locations.
- Work as scheduled, being flexible when needed.
- Ensure lunches/breaks are scheduled with distribution center team and being taken on time.
Safety and Loss prevention:
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace and complying with all state and federal safety and health regulations as well as company safety policy and procedures.
- Assess emergency situations and take action as the need indicates reporting any such situation in writing and forwarding to the Safety Coordinator at the Corporate Office within 24 hours.
- Notify President/CEO of any property or physical injury by phone immediately.
- Provide constant surveillance of the entire building inside and outside for safety and loss prevention measures.
- Responsible for proper use of all monitoring/security systems (cameras and alarms) and communicating any questionable behavior to direct supervisor or other appropriate person
- Ensure monthly safety inspections are completed and submitted on time.
- Ensure the training and execution all Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls.
- Ensure the safe handling and usage of rolling blue tubs.
- Ensure the compliance with the Hazardous Communication Policy and Procedure (chemical labeling, Safety Data Sheets, and training).
- Ensure each department team cleans, restocks supplies, and maintains overall organization of department.
- Works with Janitorial Worker on cleaning schedule and checklist, communicating to President/CEO areas of concern or maintenance.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work independently in a store team environment.
- High school graduate with further preparation preferred.
- One year of retail or Distribution Center experience preferred.
- Must be 18 years of age or older, have command of the English language sufficient to communicate with customers, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Must possess leadership abilities (good communication skills; organization; accuracy; consistency; idea promotion).
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills with customers and employees.
- Must possess problem solving skills.
- Must have a desire to work with rehabilitation consumers, employees, and the public.
- Must be able to physically sort retail items.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, stoop, squat, bend and twist, reach for extended periods of time; push, pull, or lift up to 50 pounds in a safe manner.
- Must be team oriented.
- Must be reliable and dependable.
- Must be able to pass alcohol/drug screening.
- First Aid CPR Certified if assigned by Safety Coordinator (training provided)
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license, adequate personal liability insurance, and a driving record acceptable to Goodwill’s insurance provider.
Job Location: Distribution Center. May travel to other stores and throughout the organization; some travel maybe required for meetings.
Equipment: Computer, adding machine, supplies, pallet jack, security equipment, and forklift (when licensed by Agency).