Reports To: Store Management Team, Retail Director
Supervises: Assigned Store Employees
Mission Statement: Building lives that work
Job Objective: This position is responsible for assisting the Store Management team in successful operation of the Goodwill Store. S/he will assist with: developing and supervising assigned store personnel; integrate rehabilitation services; offer quality retail merchandise; maintain financial viability. Carry out the Marion Goodwill Industries, Inc. Mission Statement.
*Must be fluent in English and Spanish*
Must be able to drive. Will assist in training and follow up with Spanish speaking team members, and will report to Retail Director.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain open communication between store personnel and management.
- Assist in developing and maintaining store appearance, ensuring a clean, organized, contemporary look
- Maintain confidentiality; ensure correct information goes only to the appropriate person(s).
- Assist in special events with store management.
- Present a positive public image for the betterment of the organization.
- Demonstrate outstanding customer service, able to show customer respect at all times, and settling for nothing less than excellence while performing daily responsibilities.
- Observe the 10-foot rule, which ensures every customer encountered at this distance is aided in a polite & serviceable manner.
- Greet all customers with a pleasant, warm greeting and smile as they enter the building, direct customers to areas of the store as requested, and thank all customers as they exit the building.
- Promote sale of merchandise & special sale items.
- Demonstrate a professional, presentable appearance, including visible presence of the issued name tag according to Marion Goodwill dress code.
- Communicate with Management team and Retail Associates before, during and after shift.
- Assist management team with employee and customer concerns.
Hiring and Team Development:
- Ensure that hiring process is in accordance with Hiring Procedures.
- Assist with recruiting and selecting future employees for Marion Goodwill.
- Lead and offer job duty guidance to personnel assigned.
- Develop and coach employees to maximize their individual potential.
- Assist with setting goals for each employee, ensuring monthly, quarterly and yearly goals are met.
- Assist with evaluating employee’s performance on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis.
- Hold team accountable to Marion Goodwill production standards daily.
- Understand and follow Retail Associate and Department Head job descriptions.
- Assist with the training of new employees.
- Ensure Retail Associates and Department Heads assigned are productive with job responsibilities and/or locating a manager to update the daily task list.
- Assist in operating effective sorting, pricing, and rotating strategies using procedural guidelines.
- Ensure that the store meets or exceeds daily production goals in both wares and textiles.
- Assist with maximizing product through weekly, monthly shipments of high quality/price, collectable and rare items to ShopGoodwill.com
- Assist management team in ensuring audit standards are met.
- Ensure all direct expenses are at or below budgeted amount.
- Ensure all Round-up goals meet or exceed the monthly store budget.
Scheduling and Administration:
- Ensure record keeping is accurate, complete and forwarded to the proper location in a timely manner as required.
- Attend meetings/training as scheduled and integrates information from training into store operations where needed.
- Perform administrative tasks, including: accurate daily/weekly/monthly reporting; check-in and close-out procedures, including cash management.
- Is aware of and follows all company policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook and ongoing training.
- May be required to temporarily assist in other locations.
- Communicate all department attendance to management daily. (Tardiness, absence, left early or arrived early.)
- Ensure breaks and lunches are scheduled with Retail Associates and management team and taken on time.
- Assist with store supply requisition, and new goods ordering and/or inventory are completed by specific dates.
- Work as scheduled, being flexible when needed.
Safety and Loss Prevention:
- Assess emergency situations and takes action as the need indicates reporting any such situation in writing and forwarding to the Safety Coordinator at the Corporate Office within 24 hours.
- Notify Store Manager/Assistant Manager, Senior V.P. of Retail Operations or Retail Director of any property or physical injury by phone immediately.
- Provide constant surveillance of the sales floor and backroom for safety and loss prevention measures.
- Count and balance the register cash drawers and safe daily. Prepare daily bank deposits.
- Responsible for proper use of all monitoring/security systems (cameras and alarms) and communicating any questionable behavior to direct supervisor or other appropriate person.
- Provide constant surveillance of entire building inside and outside for safety and loss prevention measures.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace and complying with all state and federal safety and health regulations as well as company safety policy and procedures.
- Ensure the training and execution all Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls.
- Ensure the safe handling and usage of rolling blue bins.
- Ensure the compliance with the Hazardous Communication Policy and Procedure (chemical labeling, Safety Data Sheets, and training).
- Ensure compliance of sanitizing and labeling of bedding, upholstered furniture, stuffed toys, and filling materials.
- Attend monthly safety meetings.
- Ensure each department team cleans, restocks supplies and maintains overall organization of the department.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work independently in a store team environment.
- Academic preparation preferably at high school levelor GED.
- One year of retail experience preferred or demonstrates leadership qualities.
- Must be 18 years of age or older, have command of the English language sufficient to communicate with customers, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Must possess leadership abilities (good communication skills; organization; accuracy; consistency; idea promotion).
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills with customers and employees.
- Must possess problem solving skills.
- Must have a desire to work with rehabilitation consumers, employees, and the public.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, stoop, squat, bend and twist, reach for extended periods of time; push, pull, or lift up to 50 pounds in a safe manner.
- Must be team oriented.
- Must be reliable and dependable.
- Must be able to pass alcohol/drug screening.
- Criminal background check required.
- First Aid CPR Certified if assigned by Safety Coordinator (training provided)
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license, adequate personal liability insurance, and a driving record acceptable to Goodwill’s insurance provider or review/waiver signed by the President/CEO.
Job Location: Assigned store. May travel to other stores and throughout the organization; some travel required for meetings and conferences.
Equipment: Computer, Cash register, adding machine, supplies, pallet jack, and fork lift (when licensed by Agency).