Reports To: President / CEO
Supervises: District Managers; Store Managers
Mission Statement: Building lives that work.
Job Objective: This position plans, directs, controls, and evaluates the activities of these departments to ensure that the enterprise achieves revenue and expense budgets and operates efficiently and effectively in accordance with Goodwill policies. S/he will develop the management team; integrate rehabilitation services; maintain financial viability; carry out the Mission Statement of Marion Goodwill Industries, Inc.
Essential Job Functions
- Outstanding leadership skills with the ability to outline a vision and motivate staff at all levels. Experience working with a diverse, multi-cultural, multi-lingual staff a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a large and complex retail operation, preferably a donated goods operation.
- Knowledge of principles and processes involved in business and organizational planning and budgeting.
- Exceptional skills in: analysis and decision making; oral and written communications; and financial planning and management.
- Record of accomplishment in establishing and implementing operating standards for all aspects of retail operations and for holding staff accountable.
- Capacity to plan and open new stores and familiarity with retail merchandising and store layout. Oversees the merchandising and display of the retail stores.
- Knowledge of point of sale systems to ensure proper tracking of purchases, control of cash/ credit processes, reporting and accountability within the retail enterprise.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with other executive team members and comfort working within a collaborative team environment.
- Proven leadership and management skills; demonstrated effectiveness in accomplishing work through delegation as well as personal contribution; and ability to coach and manage a team.
- High energy with an entrepreneurial spirit and ability to operate in a fast-paced environment. Must be able to think strategically but also be hands-on and pay attention to detail.
- Professional demeanor and ability to thrive in a diverse environment including the ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels.
- Recruits, selects, develops, evaluates and counsels retail employees. Maintains communications. Terminates employees with the knowledge of the President/CEO.
- Communicates progress/concerns with President/CEO. Effectively manages reports from the District Managers.
- Participates in the strategic planning process, retail budgets and agency policy development. Responsible for follow-through and reporting.
- Assists in identifying potential ADC and retail sites; contacts owners/managers and negotiates contracts with approval from President/CEO
- Ensures that all retail locations are appropriately maintained, visually appealing and portray a quality image.
- Assures fiscal viability by reviewing monthly financial performance, with emphasis on sales and cost controls, and developing plan for improvement.
- Monitors and adjusts the donated and new goods quality, quantity and pricing systems.
- Participates and gives input on all CARF required plans. Ensures department and plans are followed. Reports to President/CEO any completed actions.
- Pursues, develops, and maintains an adequate supply of donations from area businesses and the general public.
- Ensures security procedures are in place and enforced to minimize internal and external shrinkage and to provide maximum security and protection of Goodwill assets.
- Utilize public relations skills to establish and maintain good working relationships with landlords and the community.
- Develops, implements, and monitors retail training to include but not limited to: customer service, teambuilding, facilitation, problem solving, safety, etc.
- Serves as a human resources consultant for staff by providing advice on handling personnel issues; meets with managers to identify and provide guidance in resolving employee relations issues.
- Ensures that all retail personnel comply with Goodwill’s established Safety Program.
- Follows safe work practices and procedures, reports all accident/incidents and unsafe conditions, completes proper reports and gives them to the Safety Coordinator. Serve as a team member on the Safety Committee.
- Is aware of and follows all company policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook, Policy & Procedures Manual and ongoing training.
- Maintains confidentiality; ensures correct information goes only to the appropriate person(s).
- Ensures that all assigned employees are in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Follows all safety policies and procedures.
- Appropriately dressed in accordance with the employee dress code.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the President/CEO
At least 5 years of retail or operations experience at a senior level including overseeing multiple stores; at least 2 years in donated goods retail preferred; creative and flexible problem solving; desire to work with rehabilitation clients, employees and the public; team orientation; be able to stand for long periods of time, stoop, squat, bend and twist; lift up to 50 pounds in a safe manner with or without assistance; appropriate grooming and dressing. Able to pass alcohol/drug screening; Maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record and adequate personal liability insurance.
Job Location: Retail Office; will travel to stores and throughout the organization; some overnight travel at meetings and conferences.
Equipment: Computer, Office Equipment, cash register.