Reports To: Retail Director/Senior V.P. Retail Operations
Mission Statement: Building lives that work.
Job Objective: This position is responsible for the successful operation of the Goodwill Store. S/he will: develop the entire store team; integrate rehabilitation services; offer quality retail merchandise; and maintain financial viability, Assist in the supervision of store personnel in department assigned; carry out the Marion Goodwill Industries, Inc. Mission Statement
Essential Job Functions:
- Demonstrate outstanding customer service, able to show customer respect at all times, and settling for nothing less than excellence while performing daily responsibilities.
- Observe the 10-foot rule, which ensures every customer encountered at this distance is aided in a polite and serviceable manner.
- Greet all customers with a pleasant, warm greeting and smile as they enter the building, direct customers to areas of the store as requested, and thank all customers as they exit the building.
- Promote sale of merchandise and special sale items.
- Demonstrate a professional, presentable appearance, including visible presence of the issued name-tag according to Marion Goodwill dress code.
- Develop and maintaining store appearance, ensuring a clean, organized, contemporary look.
- Responsible for maintaining open communication between store personnel and management.
- Communicate with Management team before, during and at the end of shift.
- Maintain confidentiality; ensure correct information goes only to the appropriate person(s).
- Present a positive public image for the betterment of the organization.
- Develop and promotes special events with the direction of the appropriate person.
- Ensure all employee and customer concerns are resolved in a timely manor.
Hiring and Team development:
- Understand and follow Retail Associate, Department Head, Shift Supervisor and Assistant Manager Job Descriptions.
- Ensure that hiring process is in accordance with Hiring Procedures.
- Recruit and select future employees for Marion Goodwill.
- Receive and review hiring applications and verify minimum qualifications are met.
- Recommend additional staffing as justified by demand.
- Develop and coach employees to maximize their individual potential.
- Hold team accountable to Marion Goodwill production standards
- Set goals with each employee, ensuring monthly, quarterly and yearly goals are met.
- Responsible for evaluating employee’s performance on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis.
- Lead and offer job duty guidance to personnel assigned.
- Ensure all training of new employees is complete and accurate.
- Terminate employees with permission of direct supervisor and President/CEO.
- Responsible for operating a profitable retail store.
- Effectively manage collection of donations and booth areas to ensure overall image and to maximize donor and landlord satisfaction where applicable.
- Responsible for operating effective sorting, pricing, and rotating strategies, using procedural guidelines.
- Ensure that the store meets or exceeds daily production goals in both wares and textiles.
- Responsible for ensuring audit standards are met.
- Ensure all direct expenses are at or below budgeted amount.
- Responsible for maximizing product through weekly/monthly shipments of high quality/price collectibles and rare items to Shopgoodwill.com.
- Ensure Round-up goals meet or exceed the stores monthly budget. Scheduling and Administration:
- Schedule personnel to meet store requirements staying within the budgeted payroll allowance.
- Perform administrative tasks, including: accurate daily/weekly/monthly reporting; check-in and close-out procedures, including cash management.
- Ensure record keeping is accurate, complete and forwarded to the proper location in a timely manner as required.
- Is aware of and follows all company policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook, Policies & Procedures, and ongoing training.
- Ensure that all assigned employees are in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Attend meetings/training as scheduled and integrate information from training into store operations where applicable
- Receive and review all employee attendance with Retail Director/V.P. of Retail Operations. (Tardiness, absence, left early or arrived early.) Ensure appropriate actions are taken within a timely manner.
- Ensure store supply requisition and new goods ordering and/or inventory are completed by specific due dates.
- May be required to temporarily assist in other locations.
- Work as scheduled, being flexible when needed.
- Ensure lunches/breaks are scheduled with Retail Associates and management team and being taken on time.
Safety and Loss prevention:
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace and complying with all state and federal safety and health regulations as well as company safety policy and procedures.
- Assess emergency situations and take action as the need indicates reporting any such situation in writing and forwarding to the Safety Coordinator at the Corporate Office within 24 hours.
- Notify Senior V.P. of Retail Operations, Retail Director or District Manager of any property or physical injury by phone immediately.
- Provide constant surveillance of the entire building inside and outside for safety and loss prevention measures.
- Count and balance the register cash drawers and safe daily. Prepare daily bank deposits.
- Responsible for proper use of all monitoring/security systems (cameras and alarms) and communicating any questionable behavior to direct supervisor or other appropriate person
- Ensure monthly safety inspections are completed and submitted on time.
- Ensure the training and execution all Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls.
- Ensure the safe handling and usage of rolling blue tubs.
- Ensure the compliance with the Hazardous Communication Policy and Procedure (chemical labeling, Safety Data Sheets, and training) .
- Ensure compliance of sanitizing and labeling of bedding, upholstered furniture, stuffed toys, and filling materials.
- Ensure each department team cleans, restocks supplies, and maintains overall organization of department. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work independently in a store team environment.
- High school graduate with further preparation preferred.
- Three years of retail experience preferred.
- Two to three years supervisory experience required.
- Must be 18 years of age or older, have command of the English language sufficient to communicate with customers, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Must possess leadership abilities (good communication skills; organization; accuracy; consistency; idea promotion).
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills with customers and employees.
- Must possess problem solving skills.
- Must have a desire to work with rehabilitation consumers, employees, and the public.
- Must be able to physically sort/hang/display retail items.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, stoop, squat, bend and twist, reach for extended periods of time; push, pull, orlift up to 50 pounds in a safe manner.
- Must be team oriented.
- Must be reliable and dependable.
- Must be able to pass alcohol/drug screening.
- Criminal background check required.
- First Aid CPR Certified if assigned by Safety Coordinator (training provided)
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license, adequate personal liability insurance, and a driving record acceptable to Goodwill’s insurance provider.
Job Location: Assigned store. May travel to other stores and throughout the organization; some travel required for meetings and conferences.
Equipment: Computer, Cash register, adding machine, supplies, pallet jack, security equipment, and forklift (when licensed by Agency)