Mission Statement: Building lives that work
Reports To: Store Management Team
Job Objective: To assist the management team by delivering exceptional customer service that is timely and accurate; and making product available for our Goodwill customers to purchase in a timely safe manner. Carry out the Marion Goodwill Industries, Inc. mission statement.
Essential Job Functions
The Retail Associate role is important to deliver outstanding customer service, treating all donations as treasures, maintaining a clean, organized facility and being always respectful.
You have a direct impact on the success of your store, which in turn affects the success and outcomes of our Programs and Mission Department. Your Successful completion of all job responsibilities directly impacts all team members in the store, the leadership team, your direct supervisor, customers, donors, and participants.
- Implementing G.R.A.T.I.S and other procedures in the workplace:
- When accepting donations use G.R.A.T.I.S, (Greet, Receipt, Assist, Thank, Invite Back, and Sort) to complete job processes in an efficient way.
- Sort through clothing, accessories, shoes, furniture, and other wares to determine usage.
- As assigned, accurately stock product to sales floor.
- As assigned, complete weekly pulls and rag off the computer to keep product fresh.
- Using the 5-second rule, make decision on whether an item is to be sold, salvaged, sent to eCommerce, or thrown away.
- Interactions with customers and employee expectations
- Answer the store phone and professionally page coworkers when needed.
- Offer customer assistance in all areas of the store as needed.
- Complete 5-minute drill at end of each shift, ensure area is stocked, cleaned, and ready for next team member to use.
- Greet every customer within 10 seconds of entry and offer help.
- Maintain safety & security measures:
- Safe handling of merchandise and blue bins
- Report any incidents and unsafe working conditions immediately to supervisor on duty.
- Sanitize appropriate merchandise and record in State Sterifab log.
- Follow through with all state and federal health regulations and company safety policy and procedures.
A key part of my role is to do tasks or projects assigned by any of the leadership team members and to agree with any changes or adjustments to processes or procedures that are made. The job summary is not intended to be a complete list of everything I will ever be responsible for and we’re always adjusting to improve our overall effectiveness.
It is my responsibility to be cross trained under leadership supervision to gain a general understanding of all other roles & responsibilities within the entire store and to always be ready & willing to help whenever needed or requested (i.e., when another area needs additional support, someone is out sick for the day, anytime a member of leadership requests it, etc.) By accepting this position, I am stating that I have carefully read & fully understand this entire job summary [as well as the full job description that accompanied it], commit to the successful & timely completion of each item, and will proactively provide my boss with status updates on my progress while welcoming their feedback, coaching, instruction, and direction.
Cleaning: (Inside and/or outside of the location)
- Follow store cleaning procedures as assigned.
- Ability to pay close attention to his/her surroundings and alert management to any situation that seems dangerous and/or suspicious.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace and complying with all state and federal safety and health regulations as well as company safety policy and procedures.
- Responsible for learning and executing all Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls.
- Responsible for safe handling and usage of blue tubs.
- Responsible for knowing the location of, how to read, and understand the Safety Data Sheets.
- Responsible for sanitizing and labeling of bedding, upholstered furniture, stuffed toys, and filling materials.
- Report any accidents/incidents and unsafe conditions to the store manager(s) and assist with completing appropriate reports.
- Attend monthly safety meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Must be able to work independently in a store team environment.
- Academic preparation preferably at high school level or GED.
- Some retail experience preferred.
- Must be 16 years of age or older, have command of the English language sufficient to communicate with customers, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills with customers and coworkers.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, stoop, squat, bend and twist, reach for extended periods of time; push, pull, or lift up to 50 pounds in a safe manner.
- Must have a desire to work with rehabilitation consumers, employees, and the public.
- Must be reliable and dependable.
- Must be able to pass alcohol/drug screening.
Job Location: Assigned store; some travel to other stores/main building may be necessary.
Equipment: Computer, Cash register, adding machine, supplies, pallet jack, and forklift (when licensed by Agency)